WHAT IS AN ASSAY OFFICE MARK AND ITS ADVANTAGES
An article of precious metal is legally marked when the following marks have been placed on it:
- Sponsor’s mark, by the manufacturer or equivalent;
- Assay office mark and standard mark, if the former does not include the fineness.
The assay office mark guarantees the type and precious metal fineness of articles of precious metals.
The hallmarks table can be found here.
The symbol varies according to the metal:
- Gold – ram’s head facing right, for 750, 585 or 375 rings and a ram’s head facing left, for 999, 916 or 800 rings.
- Silver – rabbit head, turned to the left, for the 999 and 925 rings and a rabbit head, turned to the right, for the 835, 830 or 800 rings;
- Platinum – hummingbird head, turned to the left, for the 999, 950, 900 or 850 rings;
- Palladium – lynx head, turned to the left, for rings 999, 950 or 500.
Advantages of assay office marks:
- Guarantee the legal fineness of precious metals;
- Identify the Portuguese assay office;
- Attest to the legal compliance of articles so that they can be put onto the market.